The first external review of the thematic assessment of the underlying causes of biodiversity loss, determinants of transformative change and options for achieving the 2050 Vision for Biodiversity, is open from 03 February to 17 March 2023 (6 weeks). You can now become a reviewer for the first draft of the chapters of the IPBES transformative change assessment!
By becoming a reviewer you’ll be involved in one of the most important phases in the IPBES assessment process.The IPBES seeks the widest possible participation and most diverse engagement of interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds.This is vital to ensure the scientific quality, credibility and policy relevance of the assessment. Your expertise is crucial as your comments will help us to develop a better and more comprehensive assessment. The names of all expert reviewers will be acknowledged in the reports and the responses from the authors will be made available online once the assessment is approved.
Interested? Put your expertise to great use and become a reviewer of the IPBES nexus assessment! Please follow the steps described below.
Step 1: log in on the IPBES website
Step 2: Apply to become an external reviewer
You need to register in order to become external reviewer of the first order drafts of the nexus assessment.
Please register here: for the nexus assessment. You must be logged in to see this page.
Step 3: Access the documents and review them
Once registered on the IPBES website, you will immediately receive an email providing confidential access to the draft chapters and the glossary on this link: https://ipbes.net/registration/transformative-change/fod. You must be logged in to see this page.
To provide your comments, use the the excel table “Transformative change assessment: Review template FOD”. Note that only comments submitted in English and via this template will be accepted and each comment should be entered in a single row of the comment spreadsheet.
Guidance on comments:
- Please focus on providing substantive comments that address content rather than providing comments on editing or formatting.
- General comments are welcome, but specific line-by-line comments are particularly helpful.
- Literature suggestions are welcome.
You can review one or multiple documents depending on your interest, expertise and time. The following drafts are available for review:
- Chapter 1. Transformative change and a sustainable world
- Chapter 2. Visions of a sustainable world – for nature and people
- Chapter 3. Future interactions across the nexus
- Chapter 4. Overcoming the challenges of achieving transformative change towards a sustainable world
- Chapter 5. Realizing a sustainable world for nature and people: transformative strategies, actions and roles for all
- Questionnaire and case study questionnaire informational document. Registered external reviewers are invited to provide more detailed information on any examples or specific case studies that they would like to suggest for inclusion into the assessment, through this questionnaire.
Step 4: You can attend the online dialogue on the transformative change assessment
Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners, are scheduled in the context of the first external review of the assessment:
- 8 March 2023, 10:00-12:00 CET
- 8 March 2021, 16:00-18:00 CET
Please note that you need to register as a reviewer to participate in the dialogues (step 2 above). The dialogue registration link will be made available by email and on https://ipbes.net/transformative-change/fod after a successful registration as a reviewer.
Step 5: Submit your comments
When you are ready to submit your comments, please upload your completed Excel template no later than 17 March 2023. You must be logged in to upload your template.